Biology Program Features
Requirements for Minor
- BIO 111 General Biology I 4 hour(s)
- BIO 112 General Biology II 4 hour(s)
- Biology electives 12 hour(s)
Total hours for the minor: 20
Recent Senior Capstone Projects
- "Ultraviolet Radiation Damage and Sunscreen Efficacy"
- "Exercise Compared to the Treatment with SSRIs for Major Depressive Disorder in Adolescence: A Review of the Data"
- "A Web of Interactions: Factors Contributing to Spillover of Zoontic Viruses to Humans"
- "Implication of Origins for Design and Evolution Discourse: The Flagellum as an Example"
- "The Importance of Big Cat Behavioral Research in Zoological Institutions"
BIO 313 Genetics
Principles of heredity including classical, molecular, cellular, behavioral, and population genetics.
BIO 345 Immunology
A study of human defenses against exogenous infectious agents and endogenous neoplasia. The course includes an overview of the nonspecific defenses but focuses on specific defenses.
BIO 346 Cancer Biology
An examination of the molecular and cellular events that lead to the unregulated proliferation of cells in the human body. Significant attention is given to tumor immunology, mechanisms of metastasis and anti-cancer therapies. Some material concerning cancer epidemiology, host-tumor interactions and cancer prevention is also included.
BIO 335 Field Botany
The course studies the taxonomy and ecology of vascular plants as components of natural communities. Field identification of plant species will be stressed and will include laboratory dissection and identification.
The biology program’s rigor, emphasis on hands-on learning, and deeply committed and caring faculty thoroughly prepare students for their post-college careers. Our graduates have entered the professional world in such areas as medical research, biotechnology, aviculture, teaching, banking, politics, and writing. Others have pursued graduate and professional training at such institutions as:
- Vanderbilt University College of Medicine
- University of Alabama School of Dentistry
- Notre Dame University
- University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine
- California College of Podiatric Medicine
- Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- Georgetown University College of Medicine
- Stanford University College of Medicine
Biology can be taken as a major or a minor and is also an integral part of many related academic areas, including pre-medicine, pre-nursing, pre-physical therapy, pre-veterinary studies, pre-dentistry, and pre-ophthalmology. There are three tracks within the biology major—the biomedical option, the environmental option, and the general professional option—each of which includes a standard set of courses in general biology, chemistry, and physics.
This option offers a concentration in environment/ecology-related topics and is recommended for those interested in environmental issues, conservation biology and wildlife biology.
This option offers a concentration in cellular and molecular biology and is recommended for those interested in biotechnology, biomedical research and professional school in medicine (veterinary as well as human), dentistry, podiatry and optometry.
Health Professions Concentration
This concentration provides a solid foundation in biology and the flexibility to meet prerequisites for graduate and professional programs for a variety of health professions. Students who intend to pursue graduate and/or professional training in physical therapy, nursing, physicians assistant programs, occupational therapy and other similar programs will be well served in this concentration.
Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability Certificate
The Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability certificate program at Covenant cultivates student’s abilities to articulate a faithful perspective on the physical world, to pursue creation care personally as a commitment to reconciliation, and to become vocational leaders in the growing environmental workforce.
Biology Students - In Their Own Words
Undergraduate Departments, Majors, Minors, Certificates, Concentrations, and Programs
- Arts Administration
- Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability
- Journalism and Society
- Medical Ethics Consultation
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Art, 2-D Concentration
- Art, 3-D Concentration
- Art, Art History Concentration
- Art, Graphic Design Concentration
- Art, Photography Concentration
- Art minor
- Art History minor
- Biblical & Theological Studies
- Biblical & Theological Studies, Missions Concentration
- Biblical & Theological Studies minor
- Biblical Languages minor
- History of Christianity minor
- Missions minor
- Youth Ministry minor
- Biology, Biomedical Concentration
- Biology, Environmental Concentration
- Biology, General
- Biology, Health Professions Concentration
- Biology minor
- Business, Accounting Concentration
- Business, Finance Concentration
- Business, Marketing Concentration
- Sport Management
- Business minor
- Sport Management minor
- Chemistry, Biochemistry Concentration
- Chemistry, General
- Biochemistry minor
- Chemistry minor
- Computer Science
- Computer Science minor
- Community Development
- Community Development minor
- Economics minor
- Education Studies
- Elementary Education (P-5)
- Secondary Education Certifications through MAT program
- Education minor
- Natural Science, Pre-Engineering Studies Concentration
- English, Writing Concentration
- English minor
- Writing minor
- Coaching minor
- History, Art History Concentration
- Political Science
- International Studies
- History minor
- Political Science minor
- Interdisciplinary Studies with Concentrations
- Mathematics minor
- Music, Church Music Concentration
- Music, Creative Studies Concentration
- Music, General Music Concentration
- Music, Instrumental Performance Concentration
- Music, Music Education (Pre-MAT) Concentration
- Music, Organ Performance Concentration
- Music, Piano Pedagogy Concentration
- Music, Piano Performance Concentration
- Music, Vocal Performance Concentration
- Music minor
- Philosophy minor
- Physics minor
- Pre-Law Studies
- Pre-Medical Studies
- Pre-Nursing Studies
- Pre-Physical Therapy Studies
- Psychology minor
- Sociology, Family Studies & Social Work Concentration
- Sociology minor
- Theatre minor
- French minor
- Spanish minor