Our high-quality, well-equipped biology program prioritizes the integration of faith and scientific inquiry, empowering students to explore Christ’s preeminence in the wonder, beauty, and intricacies of biology. Our faculty guide students through an engaging and rigorous curriculum that covers a wide range of biological disciplines, from genetics and physiology to ecology and immunology.
Covenant’s biology program encourages students to explore how our faith provides a lens through which we can interpret the scientific world. We challenge students to develop a perspective that sees and understands humanity’s scientific pursuits in the context of a broader Christian theological framework.
As hands-on experience is crucial for a comprehensive understanding of biology, students participate in laboratory and field activities connected with classes and in research studies in collaboration with our faculty. Our facilities are equipped with a range of current lab bench equipment and field research equipment.
From conducting experiments to analyzing data, students actively participate in the scientific process, developing critical thinking skills and honing their problem-solving abilities. We also delve into the ethical implications of scientific advancements in biology, encouraging students to consider the moral and spiritual dimensions of technical and scientific advances.
Our graduates have embarked on a variety of career paths in research, healthcare, environmental conservation, and education, equipped with the foundational knowledge, skills, and faith-based values necessary to pursue and make a profound impact in their chosen fields.
Alumni have also pursued graduate studies at such institutions as:
- Vanderbilt University College of Medicine
- University of Alabama School of Dentistry
- Notre Dame University
- University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine
- California College of Podiatric Medicine
- Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- Georgetown University College of Medicine
- Stanford University College of Medicine
Programs & Features
Biology can be taken as a major or a minor and is also an integral part of many related academic areas, including pre-medicine, pre-nursing, pre-physical therapy, pre-veterinary studies, pre-dentistry, and pre-ophthalmology.
A student can major in general biology or choose from one of three concentrations:
- Biomedical Concentration
- Environmental Concentration
- Health Professions Concentration
Each of these concentrations includes a standard set of courses in general biology, chemistry, and physics.
Requirements for a minor in Biology include 4 hours of BIO 111 General Biology I, 4 hours of BIO 112 General Biology II, and 12 hours of Biology electives.
Students interested in teaching biology for grades 6-12 can complete a BA degree with a major in biology (following the general biology concentration) and then enroll in the one-year Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) at Covenant College.
The Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability certificate program at Covenant cultivates student’s abilities to articulate a faithful perspective on the physical world, to pursue creation care personally as a commitment to reconciliation, and to become vocational leaders in the growing environmental workforce.
- BIO 113 The Language of Nature
- BIO 263 Natural History of the Appalachian Highlands
- BIO 313 Genetics
- BIO 322 Physiology of Exercise
- BIO 346 Cancer Biology
- BIO 335 Field Botany
- BIO 401 Conceptual Review of Neuroscience
- "Ultraviolet Radiation Damage and Sunscreen Efficacy"
- "Exercise Compared to the Treatment with SSRIs for Major Depressive Disorder in Adolescence: A Review of the Data"
- "A Web of Interactions: Factors Contributing to Spillover of Zoonotic Viruses to Humans"
- "Implication of Origins for Design and Evolution Discourse: The Flagellum as an Example"
- "The Importance of Big Cat Behavioral Research in Zoological Institutions"
Students can earn a degree in biology with a health professions concentration as preparation for a master of science in nursing (MSN) or an accelerated second-degree BSN program. Additionally, although a science major is not a pre-medical requirement, most pre-medical students major in a scientific discipline. Covenant offers rigorous majors in each of the disciplines in which medical schools specify course prerequisites in the sciences.
Beyond the classroom, our program provides numerous extracurricular opportunities to enhance students' learning and professional development. Each year, we bring in seminar speakers who share their experiences, insights, and challenges relating to their professional work.
Additionally, students in the biology program are required to explore possible vocations through a practicum experience (shadowing, research internships, etc.) so that they can have clearer discernment as they discover their vocational callings.
Ready to take the next step?
Thank you for your interest in Covenant! By filling out this form, we'll be able to connect you with the best information regarding your program of interest, as well as your Admissions Counselor.
Undergraduate Departments, Majors, Minors, Certificates, Concentrations, and Programs
- Arts Administration
- Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability
- Journalism and Society
- Medical Ethics Consultation
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Art, 2-D Concentration
- Art, 3-D Concentration
- Art, Art History Concentration
- Art, Graphic Design Concentration
- Art, Photography Concentration
- Art minor
- Art History minor
- Biblical & Theological Studies
- Biblical & Theological Studies, Missions Concentration
- Biblical & Theological Studies minor
- Biblical Languages minor
- History of Christianity minor
- Missions minor
- Youth Ministry minor
- Biology, Biomedical Concentration
- Biology, Environmental Concentration
- Biology, General
- Biology, Health Professions Concentration
- Biology minor
- Business, Accounting Concentration
- Business, Finance Concentration
- Business, Marketing Concentration
- Sport Management
- Business minor
- Sport Management minor
- Chemistry, Biochemistry Concentration
- Chemistry, General
- Biochemistry minor
- Chemistry minor
- Computer Science
- Computer Science minor
- Community Development
- Community Development minor
- Economics minor
- Education Studies
- Elementary Education (P-5)
- Secondary Education Certifications through MAT program
- Education minor
- Natural Science, Pre-Engineering Studies Concentration
- English, Writing Concentration
- English minor
- Writing minor
- Coaching minor
- History, Art History Concentration
- Political Science
- International Studies
- History minor
- Political Science minor
- Interdisciplinary Studies with Concentrations
- Mathematics minor
- Music, Church Music Concentration
- Music, Creative Studies Concentration
- Music, General Music Concentration
- Music, Instrumental Performance Concentration
- Music, Music Education (Pre-MAT) Concentration
- Music, Organ Performance Concentration
- Music, Piano Pedagogy Concentration
- Music, Piano Performance Concentration
- Music, Vocal Performance Concentration
- Music minor
- Philosophy minor
- Physics minor
- Pre-Law Studies
- Pre-Medical Studies
- Pre-Nursing Studies
- Pre-Physical Therapy Studies
- Psychology minor
- Sociology, Family Studies & Social Work Concentration
- Sociology minor
- Theatre minor
- French minor
- Spanish minor