Assistant Professor of Biology
On Faculty Since 2022
Our program provides a supportive, collaborative environment where students can explore their unique callings, while being challenged to develop the skills that they will need to pursue work in a broad range of science careers from research to healthcare. Students at Covenant benefit from a community of learners and mentors that approach science from a Christian prospective, recognizing God as creator and sustainer of all things. We approach science with humility as we marvel at what we do not yet understand and praise God for what He has revealed to us, while we seek to use this knowledge for His glory.
- Ph.D. in Physiology and Biophysics, University of Miami
- B.S. in Microbiology and Molecular Neuroscience (Chemistry minor), University of Florida
Interests / Specialization
The intersection of neurophysiology and pedagogy. Using new discoveries about how the brain works to benefit student learning and cognitive development.
Selected Professional Work
- Martinez LC, Thurmond RL, Jones PG, Turner GJ. (2002) Subdomains in the F and G helices of bacteriorhodopsin regulate the conformational transitions of the re-protonation mechanism. Proteins: Structure, Function, and Genetics. 48 (2), 269-282. https://doi.org/10.1002/prot.10158.
- Martinez LC, Turner GJ. (2002) High-throughput screening of bacteriorhodopsin mutants in whole cell pastes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Biomembranes 1564 (1), 91-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-2736(02)00406-6
- MacLennan AJ, Gaskin A, Vinson E, Martinez, L (1996) Ciliary neurotrophic factor receptor mRNA in NB41A3 neuroblastoma cells: Regulation by cAMP. European Journal of Pharmacology. 295: 103-108
Get to know your professor
Q. If you could compete in an olympic sport, what would it be and why?
A. Springboard diving; I dove in high school and am fascinated by the grace and precision with which these athletes control such complex maneuvers with their bodies.
Q. Favorite local spot?
A. A picnic at Bear Creek in Cloudland Canyon
Q. What is one thing that instantly makes your day better?
A. A hike in the woods
Q. Personal Interests/Hobbies
A. Backpacking, cooking