Thomas Holcombe ’12
Graduate school and year:
Resident Physician, University of Texas Health Science Center
Current city and job:
Houston, TX | Medical Director, HV Health and Safety
What first interested you in your career? How did you discern your calling?
My father was a physician, so I knew what that career path looked like. I enjoyed the material and wanted to continue my education in it. I like that medicine is both a science and an art whereby you help people maintain and achieve their health.
I always enjoyed science, and I was planning to either go to graduate school for chemistry or medical school after graduation. Ultimately I chose med school and became a physician. I felt that God was calling me to a vocation where I could work with people on a daily basis.
What has your career path looked like since graduating from Covenant?
I attended medical school on a military HPSP scholarship. I was active duty Navy for six years after that. I completed an internship in general surgery followed by flight training. I then served two tours as a flight surgeon. I left active duty in 2022 and started residency in occupational medicine in Houston where I'll finish next year.
I had a somewhat circuitous path in medicine through the military. We moved several times in a short time. In each place we've lived, we have tried to find a Reformed church to attend and join. Our faith community has formed the basis of many of our friendships in different cities. We're now in Houston with three girls, attending an OPC church, and continuing to see God at work in our lives.
Looking back now, how did Covenant prepare you for your career and for life?
Medicine is about more than just science. The core classes at Covenant helped broaden my education, giving me a firm foundation in theology and culture.
Covenant also helped give me a strong foundation in the Bible, doctrine, and theology. It emphasized good community and friends who can keep you grounded in Christian truth. I was taught to seek Christ in all that I do and have sought to live out my faith in all aspects of my life: in work, at home, in our neighborhood and community. This teaching has helped ground me in the truth during difficult personal and career times.
What advice would you give students who are considering Covenant?
Covenant provides not only an excellent education, but an education from a Christian world and life view. The time you spend at Covenant is foundational and formative to living in this world. Take advantage of every opportunity to make friends and spend time with the professors.
For those considering the medical field, research the cost of tuition and look for scholarships for your education. Consider the military scholarship. Many people go into medicine thinking they want to go into a certain specialty but then ultimately switch to something else. Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to consider new opportunities.
What are some fond memories or a favorite story from your time at Covenant?
I definitely remember playing intramural sports, which is one of my favorite memories. But I also met my wife at Covenant, and we are now celebrating our ten year anniversary with our three daughters, so I am very thankful we met at Covenant!
Undergraduate Departments, Majors, Minors, Certificates, Concentrations, and Programs
- Arts Administration
- Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability
- Journalism and Society
- Medical Ethics Consultation
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Art, 2-D Concentration
- Art, 3-D Concentration
- Art, Art History Concentration
- Art, Graphic Design Concentration
- Art, Photography Concentration
- Art minor
- Art History minor
- Biblical & Theological Studies
- Biblical & Theological Studies, Missions Concentration
- Biblical & Theological Studies minor
- Biblical Languages minor
- History of Christianity minor
- Missions minor
- Youth Ministry minor
- Biology, Biomedical Concentration
- Biology, Environmental Concentration
- Biology, General
- Biology, Health Professions Concentration
- Biology minor
- Business, Accounting Concentration
- Business, Finance Concentration
- Business, Marketing Concentration
- Sport Management
- Business minor
- Sport Management minor
- Chemistry, Biochemistry Concentration
- Chemistry, General
- Biochemistry minor
- Chemistry minor
- Computer Science
- Computer Science minor
- Community Development
- Community Development minor
- Economics minor
- Education Studies
- Elementary Education (P-5)
- Secondary Education Certifications through MAT program
- Education minor
- Natural Science, Pre-Engineering Studies Concentration
- English, Writing Concentration
- English minor
- Writing minor
- Coaching minor
- History, Art History Concentration
- Political Science
- International Studies
- History minor
- Political Science minor
- Interdisciplinary Studies with Concentrations
- Mathematics minor
- Music, Church Music Concentration
- Music, Creative Studies Concentration
- Music, General Music Concentration
- Music, Instrumental Performance Concentration
- Music, Music Education (Pre-MAT) Concentration
- Music, Organ Performance Concentration
- Music, Piano Pedagogy Concentration
- Music, Piano Performance Concentration
- Music, Vocal Performance Concentration
- Music minor
- Philosophy minor
- Physics minor
- Pre-Law Studies
- Pre-Medical Studies
- Pre-Nursing Studies
- Pre-Physical Therapy Studies
- Psychology minor
- Sociology, Family Studies & Social Work Concentration
- Sociology minor
- Theatre minor
- French minor
- Spanish minor