The Seed Project
As part of the Entrepreneurship Certificate at Covenant College, the Seed Project initiative encourages students to transform ideas into action. With a history of successful alumni start-ups, we start from where we are, working to understand needs and opportunities, with an understanding that doing what we love can benefit the broader community. In his article, We come from the Mountain...and Start Things, Sheldon Grizzle '03 reflects on the entrepreneurial spirit of many Covenant graduates and the positive effects they're making in the world around them.
Leading up to the relaunch of our Seed Project in late 2021, students studying entrepreneurship at Covenant will have an opportunity to pitch initial business ideas in competition for a scholarship to attend the 2021 Praxis Academy on Redemptive Entrepreneurship. The Seed Project competition is limited to current Covenant College students and recent alumni, within the first year immediately following graduation.
Just as our certificate functions as an add-on to complement any major, students participants can join from any field of study. In fact, our previous Seed Project winners have majored in art, business, interdisciplinary studies, philosophy, history, and English.
Leda Goodman serves as the Entrepreneurship Certificate Coordinator. Her office is in the Center for Calling & Career, in Carter Hall, Room 106.
Past Winners of the Seed Project
2016 Competition: Morgan Sharpe '15 (Psychology) ‒ Creekside Flower Farm, one of three winners, is an amazing flower farm at the base of Lookout Mountain.
2016 Competition: Matt Monti '16 (Economics) ‒ Two Brothers Dairy, one of three winners, is a sustainable farm on Lookout Mountain.
2016 Competition: Margaret Duncan '18 (Biblical Studies) ‒ Miss Maggie's Gymnastics, one of three winners, provided a friendly, constructive environment for school age children to learn the basics of gymnastics and stay active.
2015 Competition: Jacob Snuggs ’14 (Interdisciplinary Studies) ‒ Taproot Landscaping. As a certified landscaping professional, he seeks to help employees develop life skills while meeting the resident landscaping needs of the community.
2014 Competition: Kathryn Allison ’13 (Art) ‒ Rangemark, is a hand-printing textile company that produces home goods that are carefully crafted by hand, down to the unique patterns on each product. Rangemark was featured in Dwell magazine and named a 2014 Crafts Finalist by Martha Stewart American Made.
2013 Competition: Jacob Hutcherson ’13 (Business) ‒ ProFootballSpot.com is an online forum for NFL fans that is expanding to ultimately include creative content.
2012 Competition: Paul Walters ’13 (History) ‒ Redwood Sound is a live sound and concert production company. Paul has helped produce shows for bands such as U2, Motley Crue, and Mumford & Sons.
2011 Competition: Isaiah Smallman '11 (English) and Drew Belz '10 (Philosophy & English) ‒ The inaugural Seed Project winners launched Fancy Rhino, a video strategy firm. Fancy Rhino projects have won ADDY awards, and while the business continues to grow, Drew and Isaiah have moved to the West Coast and launched Mama Bear Studios.
Graduate School of Education
Undergraduate Departments, Majors, Minors, Certificates, Concentrations, and Programs
- Arts Administration
- Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability
- Journalism and Society
- Medical Ethics Consultation
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Art, 2-D Concentration
- Art, 3-D Concentration
- Art, Art History Concentration
- Art, Graphic Design Concentration
- Art, Photography Concentration
- Art minor
- Art History minor
Biblical & Theological Studies
- Biblical & Theological Studies
- Biblical & Theological Studies, Missions Concentration
- Biblical & Theological Studies minor
- Biblical Languages minor
- History of Christianity minor
- Missions minor
- Youth Ministry minor
- Biology, Biomedical Concentration
- Biology, Environmental Concentration
- Biology, General
- Biology, Health Professions Concentration
- Biology minor
- Business, Accounting Concentration
- Business, Finance Concentration
- Business, Marketing Concentration
- Sport Management
- Business minor
- Sport Management minor
- Chemistry, Biochemistry Concentration
- Chemistry, General
- Biochemistry minor
- Chemistry minor
- Computer Science
- Computer Science minor
Economics & Community Development
- Community Development
- Community Development minor
- Economics minor
- Education Studies
- Elementary Education (P-5)
- Secondary Education Certifications through MAT program
- Education minor
Engineering 3:2 Program
- Natural Science, Pre-Engineering Studies Concentration
- English, Writing Concentration
- English minor
- Writing minor
Health, Wellness and Coaching
- Coaching minor
History, Politics, and International Studies
- History, Art History Concentration
- Political Science
- International Studies
- History minor
- Political Science minor
- Interdisciplinary Studies with Concentrations
- Mathematics minor
- Music, Church Music Concentration
- Music, Creative Studies Concentration
- Music, General Music Concentration
- Music, Instrumental Performance Concentration
- Music, Music Education (Pre-MAT) Concentration
- Music, Organ Performance Concentration
- Music, Piano Pedagogy Concentration
- Music, Piano Performance Concentration
- Music, Vocal Performance Concentration
- Music minor
- Philosophy minor
- Physics minor
- Pre-Law Studies
- Pre-Medical Studies
- Pre-Nursing Studies
- Pre-Physical Therapy Studies
- Psychology minor
- Sociology, Family Studies & Social Work Concentration
- Sociology minor
- Theatre minor
- French minor
- Spanish minor