Mathematics is a discipline with ancient origins in early Greek thought, and has been the indispensable language and tool of science. In our major program and in our service to other departments, the mathematics department at Covenant College seeks to provide solid grounding in the discipline of mathematics as well as providing a greater appreciation for logic and precise language. In our major program we seek to prepare students for graduate school, technical jobs or for teaching in secondary school. In our service programs we aim to prepare pre-engineering students for the dual degree program and to prepare students majoring in other disciplines which require mathematics. We also hope to impart:
- an appreciation for the wisdom of God as it is manifested in the logic and orderliness of His creation,
- an appreciation for the goodness of God in both structuring much of creation to be amenable to mathematical description and in structuring our thought processes to be able to understand the mathematics that describes the creation,
- an appreciation of absolute truth in the limited context of a mathematical system and at the limited understanding of fallen man.
Students interested in pursuing a teaching certification in mathematics, will major in mathematics and minor in education.
The Math Center
Students at Covenant have access to a fully-staffed math center. Students can work on math homework in a focused environment, meet with tutors to work through difficult problems, and talk through challenging lessons.
Recent Senior Capstone Projects
- “The Fourth Dimension and Geometric Models of the Universe”
- “Godel’s Incompleteness Theorems, History, Exposition, & Ramifications”
- “Teaching Problem Solving: A Continuous Integration”
- “Mathematical Pedagogies”
- “Mathematical Anxiety: Instructional Strategies to Prevent and Counteract It within the Classroom”
- “Proofs in Secondary Education: The Benefits and Uses of Proofs in the Classroom”
- “The Importance of Teaching Conceptual Mathematics in Elementary School: Impacts on the Algebra Learner”
Where Our Alumni Are
- Biller analyst, Baker Donelson
- Digital marketer, Crash Creative
- Staff accountant, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Rate development analyst, America Financial and Automotive Services
- Multiple teachers at: Jonathan Edwards Classical Academy, Chattanooga Christian School, Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy, East Hall High School