Biology from a Christian Perspective
There are few academic or professional disciplines that hold as much intrigue with regards to the world God has created than that of biology.
At Covenant, we believe that a faithful response to God’s living world requires breadth and depth in the academic discipline of biology, as well as consideration of various aspects of the discipline as a human endeavor; therefore, we engage in critical analysis of how biology is done and how it is represented in our culture, based on our Christian perspective.
The Biology Program at Covenant College
Biology can be taken as a major or a minor and is also an integral part of many related academic areas, including pre-medicine, pre-nursing, pre-physical therapy, pre-veterinary studies, pre-dentistry, and pre-ophthalmology. There are three tracks within the biology major—the biomedical option, the environmental option, and the general professional option—each of which includes a standard set of courses in general biology, chemistry, and physics.
Recent Senior Capstone Projects
- "Ultraviolet Radiation Damage and Sunscreen Efficacy"
- "Exercise Compared to the Treatment with SSRIs for Major Depressive Disorder in Adolescence: A Review of the Data"
- "A Web of Interactions: Factors Contributing to Spillover of Zoontic Viruses to Humans"
- "Implication of Origins for Design and Evolution Discourse: The Flagellum as an Example"
- "The Importance of Big Cat Behavioral Research in Zoological Institutions"
The biology program’s rigor, emphasis on hands-on learning, and deeply committed and caring faculty thoroughly prepare students for their post-college careers. Our graduates have entered the professional world in such areas as medical research, biotechnology, aviculture, teaching, banking, politics, and writing. Others have pursued graduate and professional training at such institutions as:
- Vanderbilt University College of Medicine
- University of Alabama School of Dentistry
- Notre Dame University
- University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine
- California College of Podiatric Medicine
- Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- Georgetown University College of Medicine
- Stanford University College of Medicine