The Staff Nurse is responsible to the Director of Health Services for the performance of the duties, which this position description requires. Under the general supervision of the Director of Health Services, the Staff Nurse provides medical care for sick or injured students and employees, performs laboratory tests and procedures, provides health information about a wide variety of health concerns, and performs other duties in support of college health services center. In addition to providing clinical skill support, there is a focus on wellness activities.
The Staff Nurse is a 10-month position that runs August-May.
- Performs intake measures of students, faculty, and staff that seek health services for acute or chronic illnesses. (Obtains Chief complaint, current allergies/medications, takes V.S., focused assessment and documents findings into patient EMR and updating PMH as needed).
- Evaluates and Assesses assigned patients and recommends over the counter medications if necessary using Health Services Policies and Procedure Manual.
- Consults or refers patients to clinic FNP as necessary or to other health care clinic if FNP not available.
- Assists FNP during exams and or procedures as needed. Performs various patient tests onsite such as Rapid Strep, Flu test, Urinalysis, etc. and performs venipuncture for lab tests that are ordered and complete requisition process to Quest Laboratory.
- Administers medications as ordered by FNP within the scope of practice of the Registered Nurse. Assists with calling in RX. Meds as ordered.
- Promotes patients’ independence by establishing patient care goals and teaching patients to understand conditions, medications, and self-care skills. Responds to Urgent Needs or Emergencies on Covenant Campus in a timely manner as made aware of incidents. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals, refers to clinic FNP, Urgent Cares, Outside Agency, or Emergency Room as needed. Calling 911 if necessary.
- Confine students to their rooms when necessary during periods of contagious illness such as influenza. Provides students with verification notes to validate the time he/she was under the care of Health Services.
- Assists the Director of Health Services in planning and administering of health education programs in order to raise the college community’s health awareness. Provides students with health and wellness information about a wide variety of topics including nutrition, stress management, etc. May meet and confer with faculty and staff to develop and evaluate health education programs and services that address identified areas of student need. Assists in the development or present health-related subject matters to classes, student organizations, and staff groups upon requests.
- Complies with OSHA regulations for Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks as needed; maintain a variety of files.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Experience, Education and Competencies
A valid, current Georgia license as a registered nurse. Two years of recent experience as a registered nurse in an educational setting, preferably in higher education, or physician practice clinic. CPR certification with the American Heart Association required.
Understand OSHA Regulations for Bloodborne Pathogens. Ability to work cooperatively with other college departments. Ability to deal responsibly with confidential matters.
Proficient computer experience with Microsoft word, excel, e-mail, and Electronic Medical Records (EMR).
Demonstrated commitment to serving students with diverse backgrounds, interests, goals, and abilities. Knowledge of legal requirements and regulations to assigned programs and services; understand college health functions that help facilitate student health and wellness and how these contribute to the overall student success. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Works with light materials requiring little physical effort. At times work may involve moderate to heavy lifting while assisting patients.
Perform some job duties in an office environment at a desk or computer terminal. The incumbent is subject to frequent meetings and contact in person and on the telephone with management, supervisory, academic, and staff and representatives of external agencies and organizations. Frequently move around campus to other offices or locations to attend to urgent acute care situations.
Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word to impart oral information to clients or to the public and to convey detailed spoken. Instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
Additional Eligibility Requirments:
- Acceptance of and commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- An understanding of the mission and purpose of Covenant College.
- Must be able to assent to Covenant College's Staff Commitments.
Interested applicants should submit the following application materials to email@example.com
- Letter of interest
- Resume, including contact information for three references
- A statement of faith, sharing about his or her ongoing walk with Christ
Submit all documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org