Director of Human Resources
Full-Time, 40 hours per week
CFO, VP for Finance and Operations
The Director of Human Resources is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in the design, execution, and oversight of all HR efforts for the College, ensuring that the College’s HR strategy and related practices reinforce the accomplishment of the College’s mission and comply with state and federal laws.
- Lead a department of two HR professionals. Coach, mentor and delegate assignments to provide leadership and development opportunities.
- Oversee the effective sourcing, hiring and onboarding of qualified staff to ensure theological alignment with Covenant and related behavioral standards.
- Develop and maintain a review process for current job descriptions to ensure consistency between employer and employee expectations.
- Establish and guide the logistics of the recruitment and selection process and negotiation of employment terms.
- Review current onboarding/orientation process with an eye toward continual improvement.
- Performance Management
- Oversee the completion of annual performance appraisals for staff members and 90-day performance appraisals for recent staff hires.
- Ensure that performance appraisals are developmental in nature.
- Coach managers on employee performance issues and provide guidance on potential solutions, including the development of Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs) as necessary.
- Develop human resource planning models to ensure the college has an adequate supply of people with the skills, knowledge and experience required to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Ensure that performance management practices are interdependent with training and development and compensation practices.
- Employee Relations
- Provide coaching to managers and employees regarding employee relations issues and facilitate conflict resolution with grace and wisdom.
- Investigate employee grievances and seek resolution between parties.
- Facilitate the exit process for employees, including conducting exit interviews for voluntary terminations.
- Compensation and Benefits Administration
- Responsible for administering compensation in a manner that promotes compensation justice and financial stewardship; recommend appropriate pay levels based on market analyses, internal equity data and other relevant benchmarks.
- Ensure that the compensation program is interdependent with training, development, and performance management practices.
- Oversee compensation adjustments related to annual raise pool, promotions, internal transfers, or market analyses.
- Work with payroll to ensure the efficient and accurate processing of payroll, particularly relating to new hires, compensation changes, and withholdings related to employee benefits.
- Oversee the design and implementation of all benefits policies and procedures, including annual carrier negotiation and open enrollment processes, and ensure alignment with the college’s mission and beliefs.
- Work with health insurance broker and trend data to ensure employees are provided quality health care that is competitive with the market and cost-effective.
- Actively participate in the work of the Benefits Committee in collaboration with the Committee’s Chair.
- Employment Law Compliance
- Oversee the management, communication, and ongoing maintenance of all HR policies and procedures including the Staff Manual and Employee Handbook.
- Oversee compliance with all employment state and federal laws and regulations.
- Coordinate with Vice President for Academic Affairs on relevant portions of the Faculty Manual.
- Employee Training and Development
- Provide opportunities for employees to engage in training and development activities that assist them in improving their job performance and develop them for other employment opportunities.
- Assess professional development needs on an ongoing basis, identifying current and future training and development opportunities.
- Manage departmental budget by advocating for an appropriate budget and by strategically using every dollar for the accomplishment of departmental goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, and an ability to interact confidently with all levels of employees in a variety of settings, from large employee meetings to one-on-one.
- Demonstrated ability to handle complex employee relations issues.
- Ability to use discretion in sensitive and confidential employee matters.
- Excellent attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills.
- Strong team player, internally with HR team and with other departments within the college.
- Understanding of standard payroll calculations and processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business management, or other related subject.
- A minimum of seven years of progressive experience in Human Resources and a minimum of four years of management experience.
- Experience in change management, developing and implementing strategic HR initiatives and programs that are aligned to business needs.
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or other related field.
- SPHR or other professional designation.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- An acceptance of and commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- An understanding of the mission and purpose of Covenant College.
- Must be able to assent to Covenant College’s Staff Commitments.
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Remain in a stationary position at least 90% of the work day.
- Lifting: occasionally; classified as light, lifting or lowering an object from one level to another (includes upward pulling) up to 10 lbs.
This position requires occasional travel.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Before being considered, an applicant will need to submit:
- Letter of interest.
- Résumé, including contact information for three references.
- A statement of faith, sharing about his or her ongoing walk with Christ.
Submit all documents to: email@example.com