Professor of Theological Studies
On faculty since 1997
PhD, University of Edinburgh, 1992
MPhil, University of Waterloo, 1985
ThM, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1976
MDiv, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1975
BA, University of British Columbia, 1971
Dr. Stewart is a specialist in the history of Christianity from the Reformation to the present with special interest in the development of the evangelical Protestant tradition. He has a growing interest in early Christianity and the transmission of doctrine from the early church forward to our time. He also teaches early modern European history and the two-semester Christian Doctrine sequence required for sophomores.
Dr. Stewart is an avid book collector and reader. He enjoys growing fruits and vegetables as well as canoeing.
He chaired the Biblical and Theological Studies Department, 2001-2004 and 2006-2008.
He chaired the Curriculum Committee 2002-2004.
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Conference on Faith and History
- American Society of Church History
- Ten Myths About Calvinism: Recovering the Breadth of the Reformed Tradition (IVP, March 2011)
- The Emergence of Evangelicalism: Exploring Historical Continuities, co-edited with Michael A.G. Haykin, Inter-Varsity Press (U.K.) & Broadman and Holman, U.S.A., 2008
- Restoring the Reformation: British Evangelicalism and the Francophone Réveil 1816-1849, Paternoster, Carlisle (U.K.), 2006
- Forthcoming: The Genevan Réveil in International Context (Labor et Fides, Geneva)
- Forthcoming: Evangelicalism Navigates the Past: A Surging Movement Comes to Terms with Pre-Reformation Christianity (Downers Grove: IVP)
- 'John Henry Newman in his Second Century' in Themelios 39.2 (2014)
- ‘Should Evangelical Churches Re-baptize Roman Catholics?’ in Haddington House Journal XIV (2014), 141-146.
- ‘Accelerating the Rhythm: Two Eighteenth Century Scottish Presbyterians on the Frequency of the Lord’s Supper’ in Ian Clary and Steve Weaver, eds.,The Pure Flame of Devotion: The History of Christian Spirituality: Essays in Honor of Michael A. G. Haykin on his Sixtieth Birthday. Joshua Press, 2013 pp. 303-324.
- 'Much Ado About Something? Nagging Questions about the Observance of Lent'
- 'Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe: Fictional Missionary in Britain's Pre-Missionary Age,' Haddington House Journal , 14 (2012), 173-188.
- 'The Doctrine of Regeneration in Evangelical Theology: The Reformation to 1800,' Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry, vol. 8, no. 1 (Spring 2011), 42-57.
- 'Discernment, Discernment: Caveats for Evangelicals Flirting with Monasticism' in Books and Culture March-April, 2011, pp. 16-18.
- ‘Calvinism & Missions: The Contested Relationship Revisited’, in Themelios 34.1 (2009): pp. 63-78. View online or download the pdf:
- ‘The Five Points of Calvinism: Retrospect and Prospect’ Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology, Vol. 26. 2 (2008), pp. 187-203.
- ‘Evangelicals and Patristic Christianity: 1517 to the Present’ in The Evangelical Quarterly, LXXX (2008) no. 4, pp. 307-21
- ‘Newman versus Newman: The Apologia Pro Vita Sua (1864) and later Biographical Memoir Compared' in the Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology in Vol. 26.1 (2008) pp. 57-67.
- ‘Loss and Recovery', A review essay of: Catherine Gidney, ‘A Long Eclipse: The Liberal Protestant Establishment and the Canadian University: 1920-1970; A. Donald MacLeod, ‘An Evangelical Calvinist in the Academy: W. Stanford Reid' (both McGill-Queens University Press) and A. Donald MacLeod, ‘C. Stacey Woods and the Evangelical Discovery of the University' (IVP, 2007) in Books and Culture, July/August, 2008, pp. 24-26.
- ‘The Tractarian Critique of the Evangelical Church Invisible: John Henry Newman's Tracts 2, 11, 20 & 47 in Historical Context', in Churchman, 121.4 (2007), pp. 347-360.
- ‘Does Evangelicalism Pre-Date the 18th Century? An Examination of David Bebbington's Thesis' in The Evangelical Quarterly, LXVII (2005), No. 2, 135-153.
- "A Millennial Maelstrom: the Continental Society in the 1820's" in Crawford Gribben and Timothy C.F. Stunt, eds. Prisoners of Hope: Aspects of Evangelical Millennialism in Britain and Ireland, 1800-1880, Paternoster, Carlisle, (U.K.), 2004.
- ‘A Bombshell of a Book: Gaussen's Theopneustia and Its Influence on Subsequent Evangelical Theology' in The Evangelical Quarterly (2003), No. 3, 215-237.
- ‘Le Reveil’ in Donald McKim, ed. The Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith (Louisville: Westminster/John Knox, 1992).
- Douglas M. Shantz Introduction to German Pietism: Protestant Renewal at the Dawn of Modern Europe (Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 2013) in Haddington House Journal 18 (2016), 39-41
- David Bebbington and David Ceri Jones, eds. Evangelicalism and Fundamentalism in the United Kingdom during the 20th Century (Oxford University Press, 2013) in the Westminster Theological Journal, 78.2 (2016), 359-361.
- Aaron Clay Denlinger, ed. Reformed Orthodoxy in Scotland: Essays on Scottish Theology 1560-1775, (London: Bloomsbury, 2015) in the Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 34.1(2016), 85-88.
- Roger A. Mason and Steven J. Reid, eds. Andrew Melville (1545-1622): Writings, Reception and Reputation (Burlington VT.: Ashgate, 2014) in the Calvin Theological Journal 51.2 (2016), 336-338
- Owen Strachan, Awakening the Evangelical Mind: An Intellectual History of the Evangelical Movement (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2015) in the Calvin Theological Journal 51.2 (2016) , 350-353
- Michael Reeves and Tim Chester, Why the Reformation Still Matters (Wheaton: Crossway, 2016) on https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/book-reviews-why-the-reformation-still-matters Sept. 28, 2016.
- N.H. Keeble, ed. Settling the Peace of the Church: 1662 Revisited. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014) in the Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology, 34.2 (2016). 228-231.
- Jonathan M. Yeager, ed. Early Evangelicalism: A Reader (Oxford University Press, 2013) in Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 33.2. (2015), pp. 270-72.
- Greg Peters, Reforming the Monastery: Protestant Theologies of the Religious Life (Eugene: Cascade Books, 2014); The Story of Monasticism: Retrieving an Ancient Tradition for Contemporary Spirituality (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2015) reviewed jointly on The Gospel Coalition, January 4th, 2016
- Henk van den Belt (ed.) “Restoration through Redemption: John Calvin Revisited” (Leiden: Brill, 2013) in Journal of Reformed Theology 9.2 (2015) pp. 213-214.
- Alan F. Sell, (ed.) “The Great Ejectment of 1662: Its Antecedents, Aftermath, and Ecumenical Significance” (Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2012) in Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 33.1 (2015), pp. 109-111.
- Jeremy Walker, The New Calvinism Considered: A Personal and Pastoral Assessment (Evangelical Press, 2013) in Presbyterion 40. 1-2 (2014) pp. 59-60.
- Brian Stanley, The Global Diffusion of Evangelicalism: the Age of Billy Graham and John Stott (IVP, 2013) Themelios
- Edith Humphrey, Scripture and Tradition: What the Bible Really Teaches (Baker, 2013)
- Don Thorsen, Calvin vs. Wesley (Abingdon, 2012) Gospel Coalition
- John Merrick and Stephen M. Garrett, eds., Five Views on Biblical Inerrancy (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2013) published May 16, 2014 Gospel Coaltion
- Alister Chapman, Godly Ambition: John Stott and the Evangelical Movement (New York: Oxford University Press, 2012) in Calvin Theological Journal 49.1 (2014), 143-146
- James Moorhead. Princeton Seminary in American Religion and Culture (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2012)
- R. Todd Billings and I. John Hesselink, eds. Calvin’s Theology and its Reception: Disputes, Developments, and New Possibilities. (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2012) in Westminster Theological Journal 75.2 (2013) pp. 407-410
- Polly Ha and Patrick Collinson, eds. The Reception of Continental Reformation in Britain (Oxford: OUP, 2010) in Westminster Theological Journal 75.2 (2013), pp. 404-407.
- Stewart J. Brown and Peter Nockles, eds. The Oxford Movement: Europe and the Wider World 1830-1930 (Cambridge University Press, 2012) in Themelios 38.3 (2013) , 493-495
- Thomas Guarino, Vincent of Lerins and the Development of Christian Doctrine (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2013) in Themelios 38.3 (2013) , 497-499.
- Thomas Guarino, Vincent of Lerins and the Development of Christian Doctrine (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2013) in Themelios 38.3 (2013) , 497-499.
- Anthony Chute et al. eds., We Belong: Evangelical Unity and Denominational Diversity (Wheaton: Crossway, 2013) online
- George Kalantzis and Andrew Tooley, eds. and the Early Church:Recovery, Reform, Renewal (Eugene, OR; Cascade, 2012) in Themelios, 38.2 (2013) pp. 303-304
- Mark Hutchinson and John Wolffe, A Short History of Global Evangelicalism (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012) in Themelios, 38.2 (2013) pp. 300-302
- Dewey Wallace, Makers of English Calvinism (New York: Oxford University Press, 2011) in Westminster Theological Journal 74 (2012), 439-441
- Paul A. Hartog, ed., The Contemporary Church and the Early Church (Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2010) in Westminster Theological Journal 74 (2012), 441-443
- Christian Smith, How to Go from being a Good Evangelical to a Committed Catholic in 95 Difficult Steps in Themelios 38.1 (2013), 148-150 or online
- Polly Ha, English Presbyterianism 1590-1640 in Calvin Theological Journal, 48.1 (2013), 163-165
- Kimberly Long, The Eucharistic Theology of the American Holy Fairs in Calvin Theological Journal, 48.1 (2013), 169-171
- William Van Asselt, ed., Introduction to Reformed Scholasticism in Haddington House Journal XV (2013), 91-93
- Christian T. Collins Winn, ed., The Pietist Impulse in Christianity in Haddington House Journal XV (2013), 94-96
- Andrew Atherstone and David Ceri Jones, eds. Engaging with Martyn Lloyd-Jones: The Life and Legacy of the 'the Doctor'. Leicester, UK: IVP, 2011 in Themelios 37.3 (2012), 532-534
- Michael J. Svigel, Retro-Christianity: Reclaiming the Forgotten Faith. Wheaton: Crossway, 2012 in Themelios 37.3 (2012), 546-547
- William Kay, Pentecostalism: A Very Short Introduction (New York: Oxford University Press, 2011) on the Gospel Coalition website Oct. 12, 2012
- G.R. Evans, The Roots of the Reformation: Tradition, Emergence and Rupture (Downers Grove: IVP, 2012) in Credo Magazine, Oct. 2012
- Tim Grass, F.F. Bruce: A Life (Grand Rapids, Eerdmans, 2012) in Themelios 37.2 (August, 2012) pp. 349-351
- Andrew Hoffecker, Charles Hodge: The Pride of Princeton (Philipsburg: P&R, 2011) in Themelios 37.2 (Aug. 2012) pp. 353-355
- David B. Garner, ed. Did God Really Say? Affirming the Truthfulness and Trustworthiness of Scripture (Phillipsburg: Presbyterian and Reformed, 2012), Gospel Coalition Book Reviews
- Jonathan M. Yeager, Enlightened Evangelicalism: the Life and Thought of John Erskine (Oxford University Press, 2011) in Westminster Theological Journal Vol. 74, No. 1 (2012), 205-207
- Norman E.Thomas, Missions and Unity: Lessons from History, 1792-2010 (American Society of Missiology, 2010) in Themelios online
- Keith A. Ives, Voice of Nonconformity: William Robertson Nicoll and the British Weekly (Cambridge: Lutterworth, 2011) in Themelios online
- Alan P.F. Sell, Hinterland Theology: A Stimulus to Theological Construction (Paternoster, 2008) in Calvin Theological Journal Vol. 46. no. 2 (2011), 401-403.
- Brian Stanley, The Edinburgh Missionary Conference 1910 (Eerdmans, 2010) in Calvin Theological Journal Vol. 46. no. 2 (2011), 424-427.
- Paul Gutjahr, Charles Hodge: Guardian of American Orthodoxy (Oxford University Press, 2011) in Themelios 36.no.3 (2011), 525-526.
- Kirsi Stjerna, Women and the Reformation (Oxford, Blackwell, 2008) in Themelios, 36.1 (March, 2011), 138-40.
- Mark Shaw, Global Awakening: How 20th Century Revivals Triggered a Christian Revolution (Downers Grove, IVP, 2010) and Collin Hansen with John Woodbridge, A God-Sized Vision: Revival Stories That Stretch and Stir (Grand Rapids, Zondervan, 2010) in the Westminster Theological Journal 73.1 (2011), 173-175.
- Timothy Ward, Words of Life: Scriptures as the Living and Active Word of God (Downers Grove, IVP, 2009), in Presbyterion 37.1 (2011), 62-63.
- John D. Hannah, An Uncommon Union: Dallas Seminary and American Evangelicalism in Calvin Theological Journal Vol. 45 no. 2 (2010) pp. 393-395.
- Mark A. Noll, "The New Shape of World Christianity" (IVP, 2009) in Westminster Theological Journal Vol. 72, no. 2 (2010) pp. 441-443.
- Everett Ferguson, "Baptism in the Early Church" (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2009) in Themelios Vol. 35 no. 1 (2010), 117-119.
- A. T. B. MacGowan, The Divine Authenticity of Scripture, (Downers Grove: I.V.P. 2008) in Presbyterion Vol. 36 no. 1 (2010), 52-54.
- Herman Selderhuis, John Calvin: A Pilgrim’s Life (IVP, 2009) in Haddington House Journal, Vol. XII (2010),63-65.
- Stephen Hampton, "Anti-Arminians: The Anglican Reformed Tradition from Charles II to George I" (Oxford, 2008) in the Westminster Theological Journal, Vol. 71 no. 2009, 511-513.
- W.R. Ward, Early Evangelicalism: An Intellectual History 1670-1789 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006) in Calvin Theological Journal, Vol. 44 no. 2 (2009), 443-445.
- Garth M. Rosell, 'The Surprising Work of God: Harold John Ockenga, Billy Graham, and the Rebirth of Evangelicalism' (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008) in the Westminster Theological Journal Vol. 71 no. 1, 232-236.
- John M. D’Elia, 'A Place at the Table: George Eldon Ladd and the Rehabilitation of Evangelical Scholarship in America' (New York: Oxford University Press, 2008) in the Westminster Theological Journal Vol. 71 no. 1, 232-236.
- Collin Hansen, 'Young, Restless, and Reformed: A Journalist’s Journey with the New Calvinists' (Wheaton: Crossway, 2008) in Presbyterion Vol. 34 (2008) no.2 p.126-128
- John J. Murray, 'Catch the Vision: Roots of the Reformed Recovery' (Darlington, U.K.: Evangelical Press, 2008) in Presbyterion Vol. 34 (2008) no.2 p.126-28
- Martin I. Klauber and Scott M. Manetsch, eds. 'The Great Commission: Evangelicals and the History of World Missions' (Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2008), Westminster Theological Journal, Fall 2008, Vol. 70 no. 2, p 406-408
- Todd Mangum, ‘The Dispensational-Covenant Rift: The Fissuring of American Evangelical Theology 1936-44' (Paternoster, 2007) in the Westminster Theological Journal, Vol. 70 (2008) no. 1, pp. 201-204
- John E. Colwell, ‘Promise and Presence: An Exploration of Sacramental Theology' (Paternoster, 2005), in the Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology Vol. 25. (2007) No. 2, pp. 253-256.
- A. Donald MacLeod, ‘C. Stacey Woods and the Evangelical Rediscovery of the University, (Inter Varsity Press, 2007) in the Westminster Theological Journal Vol. 69 (2007) no. 2 pp. 427-429.
- David F. Wright ‘What Infant Baptism Has Done to Baptism' (Paternoster, 2005) in Presbyterion Vol. 32 ( 2006) no. 2.