Covenant students may participate in the Army ROTC program at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC), enrolling for college credit and transferring those credits back to Covenant. The students will need to provide transportation to the UTC campus for course work.
The ROTC Military Science and Leadership Program is a deliberate, continuous, sequential, and progressive process, based on Army values, that develops Soldiers into competent and confident leaders. As the Army's largest pre-commissioning source, ROTC lays the leadership foundation for thousands of cadets across hundreds of university campuses. ROTC is a leadership development program consisting of three interconnected components: (1) on-campus component, (2) off-campus component, and (3) Leadership Development Program (LDP). By design, the three components dovetail for seamless, progressive, and sequential leader development. The Military Science Department offers courses in general military subjects which may be applicable to any student regardless of his or her career intentions.
The overall objectives are:
- to provide general orientation courses open to all students in the basic course;
- to provide selected students for the advanced course an opportunity to seek a commission in the U.S. Army, the Army Reserve, the National Guard, Nurse Corps or Chaplain Corps;
- in conjunction with other college disciplines, to develop individual character and attributes essential to an officer.
The cost of the ROTC courses at UTC will be included in the full-time Covenant tuition if students are enrolled in 12-18 hours for the semester (Covenant and ROTC courses combined). If combined hours exceed 18 hours, an additional tuition charge will be assessed at the 19+ hourly tuition rate for every credit above 18, just as if the student was enrolled in more than 18 hours of courses exclusively at Covenant. To register for classes, students must:
- Complete a UTC admissions application and turn in to Covenant's Office of Records. Be sure to indicate on the application that you will be a "transient student."
- Complete a request for Letter of Good Standing/Transient Student that will accompany the application to UTC.
- Once accepted to UTC, you will receive an acceptance letter, and you must contact Tonya Botts in UTC's Department of Continuing Education to register for classes. Contact Tanya Botts at 423.425.4170 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students will need to have a transcript sent to Covenant from UTC at the end of each semester to have the credits and the grades applied to the Covenant College record. Uniforms are not issued to basic course students; textbooks for ROTC are provided. Issue items must be returned at the end of the school year or upon dis-enrollment from the ROTC program. Advanced course ROTC students sign a contract with the U.S. Government which requires them to complete the advanced course and accept a commission upon graduation. Students receive $100 each month while enrolled in the advanced course and approximately $500 for attending summer camp plus travel pay to and from summer camp.
The ROTC program is composed of two levels as listed below:
- Basic courses (Military Science I and II) are composed of the first four semesters of military science courses. No active duty commitment is required of students taking the basic course.
- Advanced courses (Military Science III and IV) are composed of the last four semesters of military science courses and a six-week summer camp at an army installation at the end of the junior year. The student successfully completing the advanced courses with a grade of "C" or better will, upon graduation, be commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army.
You are welcome to contact our Office of Records with any additional questions. Course descriptions of all courses are available on UTC's website.